Unraveling the Impact: Property Developer Buyback Schemes and Dubai’s Real Estate Resilience

In a recent episode of ‘The Agenda’ on Dubai Eye 103.8 FM, Lewis Allsopp, the esteemed CEO of Allsopp & Allsopp Group, engaged in a compelling discussion with Georgia Tolley. The focus? The profound impact of property developer buyback schemes on the Dubai real estate market. Let’s delve into the key insights unveiled during this informative session.

Understanding the Evolution

A Glimpse into the Past: 2008 Revisited

In the not-so-distant past, the Dubai real estate landscape witnessed a surge in developer buyback schemes, where buyers committed an initial 10% payment, deferring the remaining 90% until project completion. However, the financial downturn of 2008 took its toll. Payment defaults soared, draining liquidity from the market, and leaving several off-plan projects in limbo, with some facing outright cancellation.

The Transformation Today

Fast forward to the present, and a notable transformation has occurred. Property developers in the region now command a substantial 60% upfront capital, strategically mitigating risks by spreading the remaining 40% over the project’s build phase. This shift, coupled with more stringent market regulations, has resulted in developers consistently meeting project timelines. Most importantly, it has reinstated buyer confidence across all market segments.

The Crucial Themes Discussed

1. Impact on Dubai Real Estate Market

The primary focus of the discussion revolved around how property developer buyback schemes have shaped the Dubai real estate market. Lewis Allsopp emphasized that the modern approach of securing a larger capital upfront has significantly contributed to market resilience.

2. Liquidity Levels in 2023

A critical aspect explored was the liquidity levels in the Dubai real estate market throughout 2023. The discussion highlighted how the revised payment structures have positively impacted liquidity, preventing the pitfalls experienced during the 2008 financial crisis.

3. Buyer Finance/Mortgage Options in 2024

Looking into the future, the show tackled the evolving landscape of buyer finance and mortgage options in 2024. Insights were shared on how these financing avenues are adapting to the changing dynamics of the real estate sector, fostering stability and growth.

Lewis Allsopp’s Perspective

Lewis Allsopp, reflecting on the transformation, stated, “This approach, coupled with tighter market regulation, has ensured developers consistently deliver projects on time, injecting buyer confidence back into the market at all levels.”


In conclusion, the evolution of property developer buyback schemes has played a pivotal role in fortifying Dubai’s real estate market. The shift from the risky models of the past to more secure structures today, combined with increased regulatory oversight, has created a resilient foundation for sustainable growth.

Read More: Properties Valued Over $1.3 Million Hit Record High


1. How have property developer buyback schemes evolved since 2008?

The schemes have transformed, with developers now demanding a significant 60% upfront capital, spreading the remaining 40% over the project’s build phase, ensuring timely project completion.

2. What role did liquidity levels play in the Dubai real estate market in 2023?

Liquidity levels were positively influenced by the revised payment structures, preventing the liquidity crisis experienced during the 2008 financial downturn.

3. How are buyer finance and mortgage options adapting to the changing dynamics in 2024?

Buyer finance and mortgage options are evolving to align with the shifting dynamics, contributing to the overall stability and growth of the Dubai real estate sector.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *